View System Processes and Performance
How to view the System Processes and Performance on a Mac
/Applications/Utilities folder/Activity Monitor
The Activity Monitor on the Mac is the equivalent of the Task Manager in Windows
The Activity Monitor displays the system processes, CPU/memory usage.
Viewing memory usage with top
1. Open Terminal located at /Applications/Utilities/.
2. Type: top
3. Press Return to open the top utility in the Terminal window. Two rows near the top of the window, “PhysMem:” and “VM:” indicate overall physical RAM and virtual memory usage, respectively. The two columns on the right, “RSIZE” and “VSIZE” offer memory usage information per application. RSIZE indicates the amount of physical RAM in use by the application or process, in megabytes “M” or kilobytes “K”. VSIZE indicates the amount of virtual memory Mac OS X has assigned for this process or application, in megabytes “M” or gigabytes “G”.
4. When you are finished reviewing the information, press the Q key to exit top.
1. Application and process names are listed in the “COMMAND” column.
2. It is normal for some processes to use very little RAM, such as 64K.
3. Not all applications may have an easily-recognizable name in the Terminal window. For example: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.1 appears as “Internet E.”
4. As with Process Viewer, Classic applications do not appear individually in the Process Listing window. It is normal for the Classic environment to appear as a single process TruBlueEnv.
5. top itself is listed because it is an open application. This is normal.
6. Type “man top” in the Terminal for more information on top.
BookBook is a one-of-a-kind, hardback leather case designed exclusively for MacBook and MacBook Pro. Available in Classic Black or Vibrant Red, BookBook brings three levels of security to your prized Mac. First, the hardback cover and spine provide solid protection from the rigors of the road. Second, the vintage book design disguises MacBook for superior security. And third, the stylish case protects you from being like everyone else because BookBook is totally original, just like you.